Wednesday 2 May 2012

Spanakopita and tzatziki

When I moved to Canada , 10 years ago, I didn't know any english.
Food was my way to connect with new people: everybody knows the words pasta or pizza!!!!
Friendly Canadians always shared their kitchens with me, they watched me cook my simple meals and they always enjoyed eating my food.
So, as I shared my Italian recipes and improved my english, I made lots of good friends and all of them where willing to share their recipes.
My friend Pat gave me this "spanakopita" recipe in exchange of my "sweet and sour chicken wings"!
Of course this recipe is Greek not Italian but once in awhile it is good to change it up a little.
Phillo pastry might be a little intimidating for some people but there is nothing to be afraid of, my 4 year old daughter helps me with the folding and the brushing.... If she can do it you can too!
And for those of you who relate phyllo to an enormous quantity of butter.... Relax, this recipe uses  only 1/4 cup of olive oil... I guess that's my italian version, ah ha!!!
These cute triangles of goodness are a great idea to bring to potlucks or to eat as appetizers.
You can make them way ahead of time, cook them and freeze them and use them when you need .
So why don't you give it a try?
Ueppa!!!

Spanakopita
1 pakage of phyllo pastry
2 pakages of frozen spinach (thawed) (you can use fresh too)
400gm of feta cheese crumbled
2 eggs
1 onion chopped
2garlic cloves chopped
1 tspn dry dill
1 tspn dry origano
1/4 cup olive oil for brushing
3 TBLS olive oil

In a frying pan heat 3 TBLSP of oil and cook the onion, garlic, dry dill and dry origano for 5 minutes, set aside.

In a big bowl mix spinach, feta cheese and eggs.







Carefully take the phyllo out of the pakage and unfold it.




Take one sheet and fold one third of it lenghtwise...


And fold the other third ...



Brush a little bit of oil everywere quickly...


Take a little bit of the spinach mix and put it at the end of the right side of the phyllo...



Taking the lower right corner fold up to shape a triangle...




 Fold again horizontally from the top corner making sure not to loose any filling....



Keep folding until you are left with a triangle....


Brush again with olive oil...


Carry on until your phyllo is finished....


Cook in 350 oven for 25/30 minutes until nice and golden...


Enjoy with tzatziki!

Blend together

1cup greek yogur
1cucumber
1 garlic
1/2 tspn dry dill
1 tspn lemon juice







No comments:

Post a Comment